Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Batman: Arkham Knight & How I missed the last generation

By now, I'm sure all of you know and are already going crazy over "Batman: Arkham Knight." It was showcased at this year's E3, and garnished much media attention. This really doesn't come as much of surprise considering how well both of  "Arkham Knight's" predecessors did("Arkham Asylum" sold almost 2 million copies in its first three weeks of release, and Arkham City sold 2 million copies in its first week of  release, making it one of the fastest selling games ever.)


Dat Batmobile thooooo.....


I was watching this trailer on YouTube and thought about how cool it was that developers, Rocksteady Studios, added in the Batmobile, one of Batman's gadgets he didn't have access to in previous installments. I toyed with the idea of picking up the title and began to become excited for the game's 2015 release, but the funny thing was, besides a few play sessions on a friend's "Arkham City," I had never played OR owned "Asylum" or "City." The most I had ever really done with the popular franchise was watch my friend play it for hours on end. Leveling up, unlocking new gadgets and tediously searching for riddler trophies, my buddy seemed to really enjoy the game; and for the little I played and the large portions I watched, it seemed to be a game I would thoroughly enjoy too. I knew many people found the games to be engaging and fun. I knew I would like the combat. The voice acting was top notch (Mark Hamill, Mark Hamill, Mark Hamill), and the art style was dark and stylized like any good Batman game should be. I just never took the time to pick it up and let myself have fun with it. That got me thinking...

"With such a popular game as "Arkham Asylum" and Arkham City," how could I have missed it?"
"What other great games did I miss from the last generation?"

I always thought gaming's last generation(PS3, X360, Wii) was a tad bit lacking on software selection. But was it really? From there, I tried to make a mental list of all the games I'd wanted to pick up, whether it be out of pure hype or actually researching a game and liking what I'd seen(hopefully the 2nd). Here's the list that I came up with.


  • "Arkham Asylum" and "Arkham City" 
  • "Red Dead Redemption" 
  • Gears of War series
  • The Uncharted series
  • The Bioshock series
  • "Mad World" 
  • "No More Heroes"
  • Mass Effect series
  • "Skyrim"
  • Just Dance series... joking... I totally play that one...
But seriously, look at all of those games! Like, really? All of those titles looked great to me. And not in the way where you see a trailer and pray the rest of the game will be as good. I looked up gameplay, asked friends, read reviews and played some demos. Everything pointed toward a purchase. I just didn't get around to actually grabbing the goods.Naturally, school and work get in the way again with it's stupid homework and self-betterment bologna! Such wasted potential. The good news is that I can get most, if not all, of this stuff for a steal now!

It just sucks that I waited this long, because a considerable amount of enjoyment that comes from buying a game is experiencing it with the rest of the people who picked it up around the game's release. I just have to remember that for the remainder of this generation.

In the end, my point is that if you love games and want to play something, you should stop at nothing to do so. Borrow from a friend. Trade in games you don't want anymore *cringe* Gamestop *cringe*. Actually fork over the dough to obtain a decent title . I don't care how you do it, just do it. Because now that I'm really enjoying this generation, it makes me wonder just how much I missed from last generation.

Now that I've come to terms with my foolish, neglectful behavior all that's left to do is wait to get my grubby hands on the new stuff and play the old stuff while I wait for it. I won't let Batman slip away this time! This should be good news for any of you that watch my stream. For those of you who don't and would like to- my stream is twitch.tv/justanotherhero4711. I think I might start with Arkham City or Red Dead. Hmmmmm... Dark Knight or deadly desperado. Decisons, decisions.

Take care and play on, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment