Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Last Guardian’s Last Chance

Be warned: this article may become very heavy-handed and whiny. I apologize for any use of foul language or backhanded comments.

This is a sore subject for me and one that has taken quite some time to come to terms with. However, I think “The Last Guardian” only has one more shot at giving me hope for a release and that’s the 2014 Tokyo Game Show. I know it sounds harsh to give up on a game, but it would be better for my outlook on games and mental health if I just learn to let go. After all, I have somewhat patiently waited for the titles release since 2009 when the game “began development.” Since then, I have attended a community college, moved on to a university, made the decision to pursue a career in journalism, closely followed all E3s and TGSs and constantly gotten my hopes up for any scrap of information Team Ico could muster up. The best I got was a teaser trailer only making me salivate in anticipation even more. Oh yeah, and the former director of Team Ico’s, Fumito Ueda, separation from Sony(although he is said to still be part of the game’s development). Rumor after rumor surfaced about the game and it’s progression, and keeping up with the title’s trip to completion has been a roller coaster ride of spotty information and endless delays. But I’m keeping my faith for the “The Last Guardian” for one last video game expo. If I don’t get some good news from Tokyo, I won’t expect it ever. But if I’m going to be honest with myself and you all, what are the chances some good news could be over the horizon Sep. 18-21? Will this year be the one we get some definitive, credible news about a release?

Sit. Stay. Finally get released... Good boy!

I think as a gamer whom fell in love with Team Ico and its two instant classics, “Shadow of the Colossus” and “Ico”, I want to say yes; but as journalist who tries his best to stay impartial no matter what the topic is, I want to firmly say maybe.
Yeah, I know, not the answer most of you wanted to hear, but what more can I really say? It isn’t a for sure and absolute no because Sony defended the title’s legitimacy when people questioned where “The Last Guardian” was at E3 2014. They said if the game had been cancelled and there was no chance for a release, the public would surely be informed. However, it wouldn’t be the first time a promise wasn’t kept in the gaming world. Release dates being moved back is a harsh norm in the industry and projects are tossed out regularly. Just look at Battlefront 3! Half-Life 3! Another Duke Nukem game! Okay, that one did have a release, but we don’t talk about that… The fact of the matter is that it wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibilities to see “The Last Guardian” cancelled. Heck, people have speculated that for years now. I just get the feeling that Sony knows how foolish it would be to put the kibosh on such an anticipated piece of software.

Awww, he's taking baby steps! Just like development...

Like I said, both of the games Team Ico created were a huge success. So much so they were given a rerelease on the PS3(it was rumored at one point that a Last Guardian demo would be on the Team Ico collection). If “The Last Guardian” did make an appearance on the PS3 or PS4 or both, Sony would turn a huge profit. Especially at a time where there isn’t a huge PS4 library to boast about. I see no reason that the game should just be dropped. Why put so much time and effort into something you know will sell if you’re just going to give up on it years later? Granted, I’m not the most knowledgeable on video game development. But I think it’s a valid point. So, in the end, I guess this article turned out to be aimed more at Sony than anyone else.
Sony, if you’re reading this, hear me now and heed my advice. Have Team Ico release a trailer with more in-depth information about the game (gameplay and consoles the title will be released on), set a definite release date, DON’T CHANGE THAT DATE and, above all else, keep trucking along on this game and hold yourselves accountable. I hope that’s not too much to remember. You did say that we should expect the game to still be released unless you say otherwise, and as of yet you haven’t.
Now, getting back to addressing my usual readers, I truly expect to see something about “The Last Guardian” at Tokyo Game Show whether it be a new trailer or an announcement that will leave Team Ico fans rolling their eyes. There will be something- I just hope it’s the former and not the latter. In the case there is nothing, well… I think that’ll be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for me. It’ll be my chance to forget about a possible release entirely, and maybe that’s the kind of chance I need. After all, one can only take having their dreams crushed so much. Just ask the 30 people crying in the corner every E3 at the lack of a new F-Zero title. That’s why this year’s TGS will be the last chance for “The Last Guardian.” Hey, if Kingdom Hearts 3 can happen… why not this?
What games are you crossing your fingers for at this year’s TGS? Let me know in the comments below, and share this article so we can hear what other people have to say! :]3


No comments:

Post a Comment